In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, July 29, 2011

In Others' Words: Memories

Joy Abounds!

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."  ~From the television show The Wonder Years

I've had several friends ask, "So, when will we see photos from your daughter's wedding?" 
So now you know why I'm posting these photographs of my daughter, Katie Beth Huntley. She's married two weeks as of today to my wonderful son-in-love, Nate Huntley. I'm posting photos because friends asked me to. 
And, yes, because the memories of their wedding are more precious with each passing day.
Memories are ... magical.
When I was a teen, I wrote a short story about a world that erased people's memories. To me, it was a tragic thought: eradicating memories of loved ones. Now Alzheimer's and traumatic brain injuries accomplish that same terrible goal. 
Life without memories is just ... emptier.
Back to the wedding.Here are some of my favorite memories:
  • The look on Nate's face as he watched Katie Beth walk down the aisle to the song "God Gave Me You."  (I have no photo of this because once the ceremony started, I put my camera down and savored each moment. I wanted to be present.)
  • My radiant daughter, Katie Beth, on her wedding day.
  • Katie Beth and Nate made certain their wedding ceremony reflected them. There were twin strands of faith and fun--both components of who these young people are. Nate's vow included a promise to "always make Katie Beth dinner each week." (He's quite the chef.) Katie Beth promised to "always have coffee in the house." (Nate looked appreciative and relieved.) 
  • They chose two elements to reflect their faith: They symbolically washed each others' feet and then shared communion.
  • How everyone joined in the celebration of Katie Beth's and Nate's love and their wedding. (Conga line, anyone?)


A mother of the bride moment.


In Your Words: When you hear the word memories, what comes to mind? Do you have some favorite memories that you cherish? As a writer, have memories every played a key role in a story you've written?





The limo awaits!
PS: Today is Katie Beth's birthday! Happy birthday, Mrs. Huntley!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

What a wonderful post, Beth. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and the special moments of Nate and Katie's Beth's wedding day.

Like you, one of my favorite moments at a wedding is the first glimpse of the bride. Unlike most people, though, I don't watch her. I watch her groom. Seeing profound love on a man's face is so moving. We women tend to show our feelings much more than our counterparts, so those glimpses into a man's soul are precious.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Keli, quite honestly I watched Nate more than I watched my own daughter! The look on his face was ... almost indescribable. If I ever doubted that man loves my daughter (and I don't) I wouldn't have after seeing the love radiating out of his eyes as he watched her walk toward him. A beautiful sight for this mom.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Stacy S. Jensen said...

Thanks for sharing those. She was a beautiful bride. What special, fun moments too. Yesterday, I bought chocolate chip cookies, because they remind me of a fun memory I had when I lived in Georgia. I would buy these cookies, stop at my parents home and share them with my Dad. My parents arrived in COS on Wednesday, so I bought the cookies and am sharing them with my dad. Waistlines will be temporarily damaged by this memory, but I'm enjoying it (as they are their time with my son).

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

Stunning dress (yours too), flowers, smile...day!

How beautiful. All of it.

I have fond memories of when my kids were born.
~ Wendy

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for sharing your memories with me, friends. I hope one day we can make some memories together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact