In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, September 02, 2011

In Others' Words: Courage




"It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else." 
~Erma Bombeck, author & humor columnist

Life requires different types of courage.
Some acts of courage transform a person into a hero.
Some acts of courage transform a person into the embodiment of the phrase, "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." (John 15:13 NLT).
And then there is the courage to risk sharing your dreams with someone. Precious things, dreams. Fragile. 
And yet given time and encouragement and belief, dreams become reality.
Astounding.
Many of my writing friends are meeting up at a writers conference in St. Louis later this month. They'll be showing their manuscripts--their dreams--to editors and agents and publishers. 
Each 15 minute appointment is, in its own way, an act of bravery. Who knows? It's not the first step in the dream becoming a reality--but the next step.

In Your Words: Feeling courageous? Who do you share your dreams with? What dream are you cultivating?


photo by superdecor/stockxchng.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

I'd dreamed of being a writer since I was seven. Forty years later I dusted off that dream and began writing with the goal of publication. I summoned my courage and shared my dream with my close friends and church family. And you know what? They didn't laugh. Instead they encouraged me.

Five years went by before my dream was realized and my agent sold my first novel, but never once did my friends' support falter. I count their belief in me and my dream as a tremendous gift.

I wish all the best to those who will be pitching at the ACFW conference. Taking that step requires courage, I know, but it can help to remember that only those who try succeed.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

Keli's message above is beautiful and not at all surprising coming from her. She's been nothing but uber (see little dots above u) supportive during my journey.

I took a risk and shared my dream of being published. All along God reminded me it may or may not happen. I've learned so much about trusting in Him, really trusting in Him this past year.

~ Wendy

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

It's a joy to share dreams with others--and to encourage others as they wait for their dreams to come true.
You can read about a dream come true moment for Wendy over at her blog today: http://thoughtsthatmove.blogspot.com/.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

I like the quote, Beth.
As a teenager, I dreamed of writing a novel. I set that dream on the back burner until a year ago. I shared my dream of writing with my husband and a few close friends last year. They have been a great encouragement as I learn the craft of writing. My dream is to finish my first manuscript, and I'm even daring to dream about being published one day.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Dare to dream--even daring to dream is risky, Jeanne. That's why it's important to share our dreams with others. They help us dare when sometimes we're afraid to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact