In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, January 15, 2007

It's Not All About Her

"I've learned that you should always take time to answer little children when they ask 'why?'"
"Mom, why didja' throw away the picture I made you?"
You'd think after having four children, I would know that you only dispose of their artwork under the cover of night--and by driving three blocks over and sneaking it into someone else's trash can.
"Christa, I can't keep all the beautiful pictures you draw for me."
There. I'd try a little reasoning with a tiny dose of flattery.
"Sure you can, Mom. You keep them all. Then I grow up and I have kids. And they keep all my pictures. And then their kids keep them. And then their kids keep them."
Well, she certainly had a plan. I didn't bother to inform Christa she would one day be dealing with piles and piles of her own children's artwork. I just muttered under my breath, "Honey, it isn't all about you."
Christa doesn't realize that yet. As she grows up, life will teach her that the world truly doesn't revolve around her. Her world will expand beyond herself to others. I hope she looks beyond whatever beauty she brings to the world--and enjoys the beauty others bring to it.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read this, I chuckled at how many times the Lord has to remind ME that the world doesn't revolve around me. Of course, two toddlers remind me of that as well, every day. They are also good about helping me think with all of their "Why?" questions. Thye are truly a blessing from our Lord!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact