In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

In the News

Here's a rundown of recent headlines of interest to late-in-life moms (and moms-to-be):



An Increasing Number of Fertility Clinics Allow Women to Freeze Eggs

Medical Study Shows Gaining Too Much Weight During Pregnancy Puts Both Mom and Baby at Risk

This next story is controversial, to say the least:

Mom Freezes Her Eggs So Her Daugher Can Have A Child

I don't know what I think about that last story. A mother's love knows no bounds...but then again I'm not certain I'm comfortable with this. Then again, I don't have to be, do I?

3 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger JRVogt said...

It's not so much the ethical side that makes me wonder, it's more the fact that you know specifically who the egg is coming from and that makes me wonder how the daughter feels about this. I mean, people use sperm and egg donors all the time. Some even have other women carry the pregnancy for them...maybe because it's this girl's own mother that makes the brain twitch a little. That's a little closer to "I'm my own grampa" territory.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

At first glance, it seems so altruistic of the mother to do this for her daughter...an then there is the "twitch." Whether the girl knows it or not--and how could she not know it with this being in the news already?--her child will be her half-sister and she will be the baby's mother and aunt--and life becomes way-too complicate.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I don't know whether I go along with the ethics either, and the complications of explaining to the child when it reached an age of understanding..way too confusing. However, I do know I would do and give anything for my children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact