In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, March 21, 2011

Rules: To Follow or Not?


Photo by ColinBroug/stockxchng.com



― Marilyn Monroe


I tend to be a bit of a rule-keeper. Tell me the rules, please, and I'll do my best to abide by them. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. It's a nice, safe way to live my life.
And then there are the times I dare to risk . . . to go past the boundaries of rules and try something not illegal, so much as daring. Something not in the rule book. Something that demands more of me than the norm. It's scary.
Sometimes I win.
Sometimes I lose.
But I always learn something more than I would have if I'd played by the rules.

What about you?
Do you observe the rules? Bend 'em a little? Dare to break them and achieve your dreams in the process?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I deleted my first comment 'cause it had a typo. And I just couldn't handle having a typo on TEE's blog...second try:

Hey Beth - did deciding to write fiction count as not playing by the rules for ya?! :)

I'm pretty easygoing about rules...I mean, dude, isn't there some rule about not wearing white pants before Easter? Pretty sure I don't always follow that. Actually, wait, I should NEVER wear white, much as I spill things...

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I am all about following the rules when it comes to punctuation, grammar and spelling. The crazy-making comes when you realize that there's APStyle (magazines/newspapers) and Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS)(books) and they don't always agree. Snarl. So, I must keep the two straight.
Writing fiction--yep, I broke the rule: You can't write both non-fiction and fiction. Even my agent was surprised!! (Astounded, actually!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact