In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Who is the Author of Your Story?

Photo by svilen001/stockxchange.com


“So, if I love God, and I mean really love God with abandon, then I must come to love myself, my life. I need to love my story at the heart level. That’s what I believe life is for all of us. A story being written by God. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. When I start to love my story, with all its messed up twists and turns, then I can love other people who are living out their own stories with all their messed up twists and turns.”

~ Eli in Coming Attractions by Robin Jones Gunn

As a writer, sometimes I don't like how my work-in-progress is, well, progressing. The story is muddled. The characters are misbehaving, not following my oh-so-carefully planned out plot. But since I'm the author of the story, I have control. I get to rewrite--and rewrite and rewrite--until the story is the way I want it.

I've learned there's no rewriting my past. There's no delete button for the mistakes I've made. Believe me, I've looked for one! But there is this a-ma-zing thing called God's grace. I'm learning to see my life--all the messed up twists and turns--through God's eyes. And I'm learning to love my life as is. No rewrites needed.

What about you? Have you embraced your life story?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Alena T. said...

Love this Beth!

I too am learning that with every season in my life, God has a life lesson for me to learn. Not always pleasant, but I def. come out stronger.

Blessings My Friend1
Alena T.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

This quote is one of my all-time favorites . . . I need to be constantly reminded to embrace my story.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I echo Alena, Beth - love this!

And you know, I think have I have embraced my life story. Like anyone, there are days when I wish things were more this way or that, but truly, I feel blessed to be able to recognize my blessed state of being. :) You're so right, when we look at things through the lens of God's grace, it negates the need for a "delete button."

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Melissa, I love watching your story unfold--and love praying for the turns of the pages too!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beth, what a great quote! I, too, have mostly learned to embrace my life story. God has recently shown me a hurt in my childhood that has haunted me my entire adult life. In the process of working through it, I did question why God hadn't brought healing and moved me beyond it. He showed me it is my "thorn." Do I like it? No. Do I accept it? Yes. Because I know it will cause me to depend on Him more. So, yes, I believe I have embraced my life story and can thank the Lord for how He is crafting my story. :)

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Jeanne, I so appreciate your honesty. We have to embrace the thorns too, don't we?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact