In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, September 05, 2011

In Others' Words: Rest


"Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths, or the turning inwards in prayer for five short minutes." ~ Ettie Hillesum, author of An Interrupted Life the Diaries 1941-1943 & Letters from Westerbork


Today is Labor Day, which made me think of rest.
And I thought of the busy summer I had: 
  • preparing for my daughter's wedding. Such fun, but work nonetheless. 
  • editing my debut novel, Wish You Were Here. A whole other type of fun and work.
  • keeping my 10-year-old busy-but-not-too-busy. Fun, fun, fun.
  • choosing what to say goodbye to--and stepping down as the editor of Connections, the leadership magazine for MOPS International
  • managing vertigo. No fun at all.
And through each day, I found myself looking for rest. That moment at the end of the day when I could close my eyes and think, "Done--until tomorrow."
And here's what I've realized: Rest is not something that you push off until the end of the day. Or the end of the busy week or month.
Rest is something you embrace, minute by minute.
That photo? It's me at Bandon, OR. I'm sitting in what a friend named "The Hand of God" tree. 
Works for me.
A good place to rest: in the hand of God.

In Your Words: Where do you find rest?


Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

God's talking to me now! This is what our sermon was on yesterday. I'm truly trying to learn how to rest as an art, as a dedication of trust in God.

I'm sorry you deal with vertigo and that must have been hard to step down from that editing role.

I love that picture!
~ Wendy

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

LOVE that photo...and the image of resting in the hand of God. I hope you have framed that where you can see it often.

Where do I find rest? In music, on my backyard swing, often in the car on the 45 minute ride to church on Sunday mornings, at the beach, simply by closing my eyes for a few minutes, and certainly in God's word.

I feel rested just having been here in your blog this morning.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Good morning, Wendy and Patricia.
Yes, Wendy, it was difficult to step away from editing Connections, even though I knew so clearly it was time to do so. I rested in the knowledge that I was doing the "right-hard" thing.
Patricia: Thank you for such encouraging words about my blog. I too find rest in music--and the words and photographs of your blog.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger dtopliff said...

You have such a great writing style. It's a pleasure to read besides the meaningful content. Yes, rest is a person, and you are exemplifying Him well, peace in the midst of storm (though the boat may rock), etc. Thankfully to all storms we can follow His example and speak, "Peace be still . . ." and wait, and rest.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Edie Melson said...

Rest is hard for me, my default setting is, "Do something!" But God is working on me. To remind myself about the importance of rest I have this saying above my desk,
Divert Daily
Withdraw Weekly
Abandon Annually
- Kent Pate
This wise man was our pastor when we were in Texas.
During this time of preparation for ACFW I needed this post! Thank you!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Patricia Bradley said...

I continually pray the vertigo will go away. Where do I find rest? On my couch at 6 o'clock in the morning with my Bible and Jesus Calling devotional. Some days I think Sarah Young actually knows me because the words God gave her for that day touch on something I'm experiencing. lol.
That's what I want my writing to do--God speaking through my words to help someone.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

The past couple of weeks have really shown me what rest means. Rest means healing. Rest means renewal. Rest means hope. Resting in Him allowed me to experience an epiphany as I pondered His will or my will. Thankfully He is sovereign and His will rules. I find rest in the encourage of good friends, a comfy chair, and doing something fun without guilt. Rest is a necessary element. Thanks for reminding me to rest today. :)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I'm finding wisdom and encouragement in each person's post this morning. Thank you for taking time to share where you find rest ... literally and figuratively and spiritually.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Hi Beth, as always, a wonderful post. Rest, a difficult topic in this hurry-rush world. Sometimes I find literal rest in sleeping in on a Saturday morning. I find rest in spending time with a friend who refreshes (rather than drains) me. I find rest when I spend time with Jesus in His word and meditating on His truths.
Love that picture!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Yes, friends can be refreshing. And sleeping in. And time in the Word.
And just taking a deep breath in between all the rush . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact