In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Laughter of Children

I did a lot of different things today--a lot of good things like critiquing a few articles and having some family time and eating out at the Pita Pit with Rob and Christa and Amy.

But, do you want to know what was the best part of my day?

Hearing my five year old laugh.

Even now hours later, if I close my eyes and just listen, I hear her laughter dancing across the coolness of the Colorado morning and right into my heart.

Somehow, children's laughter holds their innocence and their exuberance and joy.

It's a precious, precious commodity in this too busy world.

At one time, I had a small clay bottle with the words "The Laughter of Children" written across the front. Just glancing at that bottle brought back echoes of my four children's laughter--and made me smile. Sometimes I'd even uncork the bottle and imagine their giggles and chuckles and belly laughs escaping and swirling around me.

I remembered the times Josh watched an old Dick Van Dyke show and laughed until he was red in the face and crying. Or the time we played cards--every time we played cards--and Katie Beth and Amy got the giggles so bad we all just laughed along with them. Or Christa's delighted squeals of laughter when someone chased her around the house until she was caught in a bear hug.

Well, one day, that little clay bottle got broken. That's okay--it's just a thing. I still have my children's laughter tucked away in my heart. Now that's something worth cherishing.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This gave me a really big smile when I read it! Thanks for the reminders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact