In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Perspective

Having three older children provides an interesting perspective on watching Christa grow up.

I know Christa will be eighteen a lot sooner than I think because I'm still wondering how her brother and sisters grew up so fast. One day they were little kids sprawled on the family room floor while I read Little House on the Prairie out loud to them. The next thing I knew, one had a college degree, one was dissecting cadavars in nursing school, and one was heading to Guatemala for the summer.

It all happened so fast--those homework and sporting events and band concerts and best friends and "I-don't-know-what-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up" years.

One of my greatest joys of being a mom is seeing my now young adult children become who they were meant to be--who God made them to be. To see them pursue a dream and make it come true. To see them rise to the challenge of college or finding a job and succeeding. I realize that, even if Josh and Katie Beth and Amy weren't my children, I would like them. It's a special privilege to love my children. It is a special joy to like them.

I look forward to Christa becoming who she is meant to be. I eagerly anticipate hearing about her hopes and dreams--and then seeing them come true. But I'm in no rush. It'll be here soon enough. Right now it's all about taking time. Taking time to be the mom of a young child--opening a new copy of Little House on the Prairie and continuing a treasured family tradition.

I'm thankful that I have another chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact