In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, September 15, 2006

Postpartum Depression: Just one more thing

Even as I hop down from my "soapbox" blogging about postpartum depression, I want to keep the conversation going.
Women are, for the most part, all about relationship. We want to get to know other women--and we want to be known.
But real relationship involves talking about the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful. Talking about the days we feel like the best mom in the world--and the days we feel like Cruella Da Ville. Talking about making memories and making mistakes. Talking about feeling so good we wish the day would never end--and feeling so bad we wish we'd never gotten out of bed in the morning.
Sometimes struggling with depression becomes our dirty little secret that we keep all to ourselves.
But there is nothing heinous about being depressed before, during, or after your baby is born. There should be no scarlet "D" emblazoned on a woman's chest if she struggles with one month of "the Blues" or eight months of postpartum depression.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 4 year old daughter and I suffered from PPD beginnging one month after my preemie was born. I must be crazy but I am still feeling the effects. I'm still on meds and still in therapy. My life seems like it will never be the same and I am not dealing well with being a mom after a long career as a social worker. Just venting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact