In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Little Bit Happy and A Little Bit Sad

"Why isn't Katie Beth living at home anymore?"

The question from five-year-old Christa came unexpectedly. Yes, we'd talked about her sister moving into her own apartment. Most times, Christa made short work of our conversations, moving on to more interesting topics like playing at the park or watching a favorite movie.

Yesterday, Katie Beth moved out. Several friends came over and loaded her stuff--books, desk, bed, Cinderella memorabilia-- into their cars. Christa didn't say much until after Katie Beth left. As we walked upstairs to her bedroom, she said, "Oh, I think I am going to cry now."

So, she and I sat on her bed and we both cried.

Later, Christa went with her dad and me as we bought a few groceries to take over to Katie Beth. Christa's contributions? Two ears of corn and two baking potatoes. Go figure.

After a quick tour of her sister's new place, Christa settled in the spacious "Papa-san" chair and watched Peter Pan with a few of Katie Beth's friends.

Back to today and her "Why" question.

Rob and I explained that when children grow up they want to be independent. We said most children don't live with their parents once they get older. We assured her Katie Beth loved her and was still her sister. And then we asked how Christa felt.

"I'm a little bit happy and a little bit sad," she said. "I'm happy because it was fun to go to Katie Beth's apartment and sit in that chair. I always wanted a chair like that. And I'm sad too because I miss her."

That about sums it up.

A little bit happy and a little bit sad.

Me too.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

You encourage me to embrace the time I have with my children.

Glad you are sharing your journey. I know it's not easy.

I may have to refer to these postings when my turn comes.

You are dear to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact