In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, October 09, 2006

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I'm not a Rolling Stones fan--I mean, come on! A logo of a big tongue sticking out of a mouth? Gross!

But this morning the chorus to one of their songs keeps replaying in my head:
"You can't always get what you want . . ."

Changing just one word in that sentence will tell you what my day is like:
"You can't always do what you want . . . "

As a Mommy-come-lately, life no longer goes the way I planned. From the moment I found out my pregnancy test was positive, life took a sharp about-face.

This morning, it's little things. I didn't make it out of bed before my "early bird" five-year-old. She was up and at 'em--giggling and ready to meet the day--before I lifted my bed-head off the pillow.

There went my plans to work out and have a little quiet time before waking her up. A leisurely shower wasn't going to happen either. Breakfast sitting down? Nope. I inhaled a bowl of shredded wheat while I stood by the kitchen counter and made a few quick phone calls.

I'm the mother of four kids--three mostly grown and one kindergartner. I should know by now that doing what I want takes second or third or even fourth place to doing what needs to be done. As I mom, I make my plans for the day--and then I adjust, adjust, adjust.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact