In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, October 09, 2006

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I'm not a Rolling Stones fan--I mean, come on! A logo of a big tongue sticking out of a mouth? Gross!

But this morning the chorus to one of their songs keeps replaying in my head:
"You can't always get what you want . . ."

Changing just one word in that sentence will tell you what my day is like:
"You can't always do what you want . . . "

As a Mommy-come-lately, life no longer goes the way I planned. From the moment I found out my pregnancy test was positive, life took a sharp about-face.

This morning, it's little things. I didn't make it out of bed before my "early bird" five-year-old. She was up and at 'em--giggling and ready to meet the day--before I lifted my bed-head off the pillow.

There went my plans to work out and have a little quiet time before waking her up. A leisurely shower wasn't going to happen either. Breakfast sitting down? Nope. I inhaled a bowl of shredded wheat while I stood by the kitchen counter and made a few quick phone calls.

I'm the mother of four kids--three mostly grown and one kindergartner. I should know by now that doing what I want takes second or third or even fourth place to doing what needs to be done. As I mom, I make my plans for the day--and then I adjust, adjust, adjust.



1 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Shannon Jones said...

I did not get to catch up with you this week because, my plans were changed. I told my husband that I can't even remember what sleeping in looks or feels like! At least when my youngest comes in at the wee hours of the morning he likes to crawl in, snuggle, and quitely tell me what he wants to do that day. It gives me a moment to wake up, breath in that warm sleepy baby smell, and know God is with me and the day will be...different from the day before.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact