In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Graduation Day

"This is the saddest day of my life."
Such were the words of woe uttered by Christa on the last day of kindergarten.
She had tears in her eyes.
I had tears in my eyes too.
It had been a fun-filled year.
Three days earlier she'd graduated with the rest of her class--wearing a blue gown and a cap complete with a tassle! Christa and her kindergarten comrades recited Bible verses and sang songs. Each student shook hands with Mrs. Jarboe and Mrs. Murphy and smiled for the camera when they received their diploma.
A few more days of fun--and then the year was truly over. Christa came home with a laminated scrapbook of memories that she has looked at again and again. The day she made a robot with her fifth-grade buddy. The day she visited the pumpkin patch. The day she learned about Indians and named herself "She who was born in the snow." Science Day and Art Day and the 100th Day of School.
What a grand year she had.
Mrs. Jarboe made certain that, in the midst of all the fun and laughter, Christa learned what she needed to know to be ready for first grade. Christa isn't really looking forward to that yet. She's too busy hating saying goodbye to such a wonderful teacher.
That's a good kind of sad.

And for that I am grateful.

May your day be anchored in gratefulness.

3 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

This is so sweet, Beth! My daughter (3 years old) will be starting preschool in the fall. I'm going through the "she's-leaving-me" tears. :)

Hey - thanks for stopping by my site! I hope you return. I haven't been able to keep up with the MOPS forum lately. Life has been a little crazy, but summer is slowly setting in. Hopefully I can catch up soon.

Take care! Great to meet you.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger The Mama of the House said...

Boy, you can sure tell I'm pregnant because just reading your blog brings me to tears. And I know most of the news! Yikes! My oldest is much more like Josh than Krista--he can't wait to get out of the nest and then move on to bigger and better things! Thankfully, I still have my girl who really loves her Mama.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

That' motherhood for you--laughter and tears and more laughter and tears! I loved when my children were little (and the one who still is little) and I loved watching them grow up and become independent adults...and I shed quite a few tears along the way. It's a Mom's perogative!

Thanks, Tanya, for dropping by the blog!

And Mama in the House...did you just say you were pregnant?!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact