In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Life Lesson From a Six Year Old

My daughter Christa is only six years old--but she knows what she needs and she knows how to ask for it.
I admire that.
Right now, Christa neds a lot of hugs and she makes sure I know it. She just tells it like it is: "Mom, I need a hug." We may be sitting on the couch watching TV or we may be walking through the grocery store or we may be eating out at a favorite restaurant (Hers: Chik-fil-a; Mine: California Pizza Kitchen.)
And once she tells me what she needs, she opens her arms up wide, knowing I'll give her a hug. And another. And another--as many as she asks for.
Simple, huh?

Me? I complicate things in typical adult fashion. I don't ask.
About a week ago I was emotionally taken to my knees. A precious friend's husband's died suddenly of a heart attack on his way home from work.
Just typing those words in this blog makes it hard to breathe. I hurt so deeply for my friend.
I want to comfort her--to wrap my arms around her and somehow make the pain go away. But I can't.
Maybe sometimes a hug doesn't make the pain go away. Maybe a hug just allows a person to find a place to rest for a moment in the comforting embrace of a friend.
I need a hug.

5 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger JRVogt said...

Anytime.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hug. hug. hug.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Lesson learned:
All I had to do was ask.
Many thanks.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider yourself hugged and loved!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

HUG for my precious friend, Beth, and her friend. Sorry you are hurting. WIsh I could hug it all away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact