In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Let 'em Dance!

It's dance recital week for Christa.
She's been taking dance lessons for the past year and it's time to be front and center on stage and show what she's learned.
It's quite a production. Hundreds of students of all ages ready to strut their stuff, be it tap, jazz, ballet, or hip hop.
Christa has three days of rehearsal this week, including one dress rehearsal. This, of course, means I have three days of rehearsal.
It's not pretty.
Lots of kids.
Lots of noise.
Lots of waiting for your turn to perform. Waiting. And more waiting.
And yes, the kids outnumber the parents.
Monday's rehearsal ran long--more than three hours long. Now, why was I surprised? More importantly, why wasn't I more prepared to entertain the eight young dancers in Christa's class? One mom provided snacks. Need I tell you how quickly those were devoured? I'd brought along some library books, but those are a poor choice of entertainment in the midst of a mass of giggling, talking, tap-dancing, and quickly bored children.
One little girl brought a portable DVD player. She was soon surrounded--and all around her was a little pocket of quiet.
I confess: I caved in and bought a portable DVD player.
It was on sale. And Rob and I had talked about getting one.
But the truth is, I couldn't imagine facing another day of recital rehearsal without.
Call me a coward if you must.
But I am also a prepared Mom today!

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger The Mama of the House said...

You're no coward! That is a definite war zone and you came prepared with ammo guaranteed to calm the crazy masses. And to salvage some of your sanity in the process. You're a smart Mom!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done two years of that crazy rehearsal week as a room mom. I know what you mean. And I didn't even think about buying the DVD player. Sounds good to me. It's hard to keep those girls busy and satisfied in the waiting. But you will be blessed by the results. I hope you smile, or better yet, I hope you shed a tear as you watch the big night. In full color and costume.The kids and adults alike work hard for this one show. I love it.

As my me, I'm taking a much needed mom break this year. I did my two seasons. Maybe next year, I might do another round. Still unsure.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I thank you for your gracious words, fellow moms.
And kudos to you, Tiffany, for braving rehearsal week for two years!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact