In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Faith in the Face of Heartache

Two days ago, I held a dear friend in my arms and let her cry out her heartache.
This pain is not going to disappear with a few tears. I know the days ahead will hold many more opportunities for Renee to shed tears.
Her 12-year-old son has cancer.
Within the past 48 hours, Renee and her husband faced the diagnosis and prognosis and the beginning of chemotherapy. Their son has endured a bone marrow biopsy. He now has a port in his body, through which he has already received his first round of chemo. Our prayer is that he responds well to treatment.
At one point, my friend whispered, "I don't know how to comfort him."
I knew that was her fear--that she would not be able to comfort her son.
But I also knew that fear was unfounded.
"You'll know what to say, Renee," I whispered in her ear. "You'll be with your son every step of the way. God will help you be what your son needs right now."
Both Renee and her husband have been knocked off their feet by their son's illness. And yet, their faith is the firm ground they are standing on. They are not backing down. They are rallying around their son.
It's what moms and dads do. When the unimaginable happens, we face it because we must--for our children.
My friend and her family are not alone in this. They are surrounded by friends and family--and prayers upon prayers.
May God be mighty on their son's behalf.

3 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

May God indeed be might on this son's behalf.

Praying now that God's grace will equip Renee and her family for each moment - each challenge and each decision - that presents itself in the days ahead.

I'm so grateful that you, Beth, are one of those friends that are surrounding them.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Now is not the time to doubt God ... now is the time to believe all the more that He can perform miracles and that He loves us.
Renee's family has stood by us in tough times too. I'm praying I can hold out hope to her now.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Praying for this boy, his parents, and all those affected. I hurt for him. Watching my three year old brother with cancer tore my heart in pieces. I can't even imagine being on the mom side. A mother's love is so deep and strong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact