In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, May 20, 2011

In My Words: One Word



Most of my friends know that I don't do New Year's Resolutions. Over the years, I've lost too many long lists of good intentions before the end of January.
Instead, I focus on a word--one word--for the year. I've found that it's fairly easy to keep track of one word for 365 days.
My word for 2011 is hope.
I like to have visual reminders of my word for the year. So, I've got a little silver "hope" dangling off my desk lamp. And another "hope" looped over my rear view mirror in my car. My husband tucked an insulated mug labeled with the word "hope" in my Christmas stocking, along with a little wooden plaque that reads: "The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him." (Lamentations 3:25) I keep it on the kitchen counter so I see it often.

With 140 days gone in 2011, I've had reasons to cling to hope. Reasons to offer hope to people I care about. I'm sticking with my word choice.
What about you? Did you make any resolutions way-back in January? How's that going for you? Want to trade in that list--if you can still find it--for a word? And if you can't find your list of resolutions, stop looking. Instead, pick a word.
Just one word.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Becky said...

What a great idea! What a great word!

Thanks, Beth!

When we hope in the Lord, we will not be disappointed.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Glad you were encouraged!
It was a good "stop and remember" moment for me too.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Susan Crawford said...

Hope is so good! I chose one word for 2011, too. Mine is "determined" and I have lots of visual reminders, too. This is the first year I've done it, and I LOVE having that one concept to filter everything through. Without a doubt, it has been my most successful attempt at keeping resolutions.

Great post!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I like the word "determined." May save that for 2012.
:O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact