In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, May 02, 2011

In Others' Words: Common Sense







"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes."
 ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet, essayist and philosopher




There's a lot to like about my friend Terri. Back when we lived in the same town, she got up every morning and made her two boys breakfast. Instead of making me feel guilty about serving my kids cereal, she just explained it was another way to love on her sons. And I could love my kids by feeding them cereal--that was fine too. 

Terri also knows how to laugh--I can hear it echoing in my heart even now--and she knows how to assess a situation and see what needs to be done and then "git 'er done."

The thing I admire most about Terri is that she overflows with common sense--and she doesn't mind sharing. When we were both involved with women's ministry, she was the one who figured out how we'd feed 100 women during an overnight retreat--and made it look effortless. I just stood back and did whatever she said. Her decisions were a thing of beauty--truly. Genius in action. I decided it was okay that I wasn't a fount of common sense. I was blessed to just follow her lead.

Do you share your common sense with others? Or have you been helped by someone else's "genius in working clothes?" I'd love to hear your story!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

From my friend Delores Topliff via email:

Using common sense is an investment that produces dividends for many, often including ourselves. As this verse in Ecclesiastes says, "Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again." As a 15-year-old years ago when I neeeded a home, a fun young family connected through church provided me one. I happily interacted with their 6-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter, teaching songs and reading many stories and books. The daughter developed her own passion for books, and later, for writing, as I did. As an adult, she and others eventually established Bethlehem Books, a good small publishing house dedicated to reprinting and safeguarding inspiring classics of valuable use to homeschoolers. As a teacher, friends and I often taught those books. The time came when I wrote my own children's books and initial publishing ventures were helpful but not ideal. My friends at Bethlehem Books advised me to start my own publishing house. "How can I? I wouldn't have the first idea how," I protested.
"We'll teach you everything you need to know," they said, and they have.
Who would have thought that sharing my love for reading and later writing years ago would lead to the existence of something that would benefit me also years later as I established TrueNorth Publishing and that initial common sense investment came full circle. Delores Topliff

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

What a wonderful post, Beth! Common sense: I have been both the recipient and giver during my life. :) I have found that, at times, I get so wrapped up in the details of a life situation that I can't see things accurately. Having a friend come alongside and help me see what should have been obvious to me has encouraged me and helped me get through those hard times. God has also allowed me to be that person for friends a few times. :)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Sometimes circumstances obscure the obvious, that's true! Good insight, Jeanne! Like the Proverb says, a wealth of counselors . . .

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, this is my first visit to you blog. I love how you start with a picture and a quote!! It seems that for me common sense comes in certain areas and evades me in others. There are things in which I am common sensory challenged and love to follow the lead. I prefer this state of affairs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact