In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, May 16, 2011

In Others' Words: Mountains


A view of Pike's Peak through The Siamese Twins (photo by Amy Vogt)



"I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." ~Author Unknown



One of my favorite things to do in Colorado is hike. I savor the sunshine and the shadows of the woods, the uncertainty of what's around the next bend in the trail, even the ache of tired muscles. There are times when a hike proves more challenging than expected. I work hard to stifle my complaints. I'm tired. I'm thirsty. Can we turn around? Instead, I focus on the time spent with my family and friends, knowing that pushing past my "this wasn't what I signed up for" grumpiness will tinge my memories with a particular brand of satisfaction.


Getting to the top of the mountain is great. Achieving any goal is well worth a celebratory moment. Or two. But I've learned you can't live on the mountain top. There's always the next goal. Real living comes in the climb. When you don't quit. When you help someone else who's more tired than you. When you discover you're stronger than you ever imagined. 


So, what about you? Climbing any mountains? Don't focus on just getting to the top. Stop. Take a breather. And realize how much you've already accomplished.




Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger Katie Ganshert said...

So true - about not staying on the mountain top for too long. There truly is always another to climb. That's why it's so important to learn to enjoy the climbing.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I enjoy hiking, too. Great analogy and one I'm understanding as so important on the journey. I'm thankful I like it when my muscles burn from climbing, it reminds me I'm trying.
~ Wendy

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Sounds like I've got some friends who've learned to enjoy the climb too. (Oh, my! I'm hearing a Miley Cyrus song now!) Thanks for joining in, Katie and Wendy.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Sonia said...

What a great reminder for when we are in the midst of the struggle. It's always good to see how far we've come instead of how far we have left to go. The remaining journey looks impossible until you've reviewed how far you've come and remember that Christ is on your "hiking" team!

P.S. Great photo Amy!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Good reminder, Sonia, that we always have an unseen companion with us when we're on the uphill climb!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Love that pic, Beth, and your post is so true. :) It seems like there are always mountains to climb--whether they be personal goals (i.e. writing) or personal change/betterment (for me, especially in the mommy-realm). It really IS all about the climb. :)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Always mountains to climb--agreed. Always more fun to climb them with someone else! :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact