In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, May 06, 2011

In My Words: Fear



There was a season in my life when I could have made you quite a long list detailing my fears.
I was afraid of the dark.
I was afraid of the basement--yeah, creepy. I even told my husband we wouldn't own a house with a basement. (We do.)
I was afraid of Vincent Price movies. (Have you ever seen The Pit and the Pendulum?)
I was afraid of failing. As if I could avoid that!
I was afraid . . . well, you get the idea.
And then it got to the point that I was afraid I'd be controlled by fears for the rest of my life.
Something had to change.
And something did.
I began a relationship with my very patient, very understanding Creator, and as the Psalmist says, "I called upon the Lord and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)
This doesn't mean God let me opt-out of scary situations. In fact, I found myself facing things I never imagined. But now I know I don't have to face them alone. God is with me. 
Basements? No problem.
Vincent Price movies? I'll pass.
Fear--well, the reality is life is scary sometimes. I've learned it's okay to admit I'm afraid. I know where to run in the dark times.







Psalm 18: 1-3  "I love You, O LORD, my strength. 
    The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, 
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge ... "








Photo by bradimarte/stockxchng.com

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I'm sure I could've matched you fear for fear once upon a time. I'm so thankful for God's strength when fears creep in. These days, those fears come in the form of self-doubt about my writing abilities. Again, God is bigger. And I'm so thankful. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Good morning, Lisa!
Having read some of your writing, you have no need to fear!
And, yes, it's truly life-changing to know God is bigger than all my fears!!
"The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous run to Him and are safe." Proverbs 18:10

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love how you added that video to this post!

We are blessed to have a caring God that we can hand our fears over to!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks, Alisa! I mix things up on Friday and have some magnetic poetry fun.
And, yes, I am thankful too that God is bigger than all my fears put together--and that He cares about each individual one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact