In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Looking Back on a Crisis-Past

When I found out I was pregnant again at 41, I cried a lot.
And during those weeks of crying--and of morning sickness--I thought, "Can I do this all over again?"
Could I find the physical energy to care for a young child again?
Even more important: Could I find the emotional energy to care for a young child again?

I just came through one of those emotionally draining challenges every mother faces.

Three days ago the phone rang. I answered and heard these words:

"Beth, this is the principal at school. I need to tell you what happened to Christa at school today."

"Is Christa alright?"

"Yes, she's fine."

I could breathe again--so I waited to hear what had happened.

Long story short, Christa was told by some boys that another boy was planning to trap her. These boys said the other boy was going to jump out at her wearing a scary mask. Then he planned to take her to a house and hurt her. (I am omitting some graphic details here because it is just too painful to write.) The two boys told Christa they would protect her.

Now here is the odd twist to the story:

One of the boys who promised to protect her eventually confessed that he made the story up.

But I didn't know this at first. All I knew was that my daughter had been threatened.
I trembled all over. I found it difficult to think, to talk. I wanted to sob--and I wanted to get to my daughter as fast as I could.

The situation was resolved during the course of the next three days. My husband and I talked to the principle and to Christa's teacher several times. The boy's guardian called me and apologized. Even the little boy told me how sorry he was.

I learned a lot of things during this time--but right now the most important lesson I learned is this: When my child needs me, I'm there for her. I don't care about the physical or emotional or monetary cost.

Afterall, I am her mother--and that's what mothers are for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact