In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, January 19, 2007

Being Grateful

I spent time with a bunch of five and six-year-olds again this week. I helped out in Christa's kindergarten class. I hate to admit it, but kindergarten is way-outside my comfort zone. Arts and crafts? Not me.
This week, Mrs. Jarboe, teacher-extraordinaire, had me read Snowflake Bentley to the kiddos. It's a wonderful story about William Bentley, the man who first photographed snowflakes. Reading the story to the kiddos--that was the fun part! Then we were supposed to make snowflakes. That's when I broke out in a cold sweat. I just knew I was gonna' mess it up and we'd end up with a pile of shredded white paper that looked nothing like beautiful snowflakes. So, I practiced before the kiddos came over to my table.
I followed Mrs. Jarboe's instructions and folded the paper and cut the paper--took a deep breath--and folded the paper and cut some more. And then when I was done, I unfolded my snowflake.
And you know what? It's beautiful! I even laid it out on a piece of royal blue construction paper and glued it down with Modge Podge. Then I brought it home with me and hung it up by my desk.
So, here's what I am thankful for today:
I am thankful that I was shoved oh-so gently outside my comfort zone. I am thankful I took the time to fold and cut, fold and cut a snowflake. And I am thankful I brought it home and hung that silly little piece of beauty up in my office. I recaptured a bit of my childhood--and it won't melt in the Spring thaw.

1 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. I too am arts and crafts challenged. In the 5th grade I had a teacher (in Northglenn, no less) who was obcessed with origami. No matter how hard I tried I could not make a whooping crane -- and he didn't like me. I was happy when rubber stamps came out; then all I had to do was color in the lines. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes we can do things that we don't think we can. Rebecca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact