In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, January 22, 2007

Keeping My Sense of Humor

We all know why women who are over fifty don't have babies. They would put them down someplace and forget where they left them.~ Author Barbara Johnson
I joke about being a Mommy-come-lately all the time. But when I read that quote this morning, I didn't laugh. I groaned. Maybe it was just too early in the morning. Maybe it just struck too close too home.
Sure, I was only 41 when Christa was born--not that close to 50--but I do worry about not keeping up with her. I worry about being an old mommy of a young child.
I just have to remind myself that, as a late-in-life mom, I am not alone. Thousands of women in their mid-30s and 40s--and, yes, even a few in their 50s and 60s--are having babies. I can do this--and I can do it successfully. It may take a bit more effort than it took when I was in my twenties. But, if I think way, way, way back then, I think I complained about being tired then too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact