In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, January 25, 2007

One Day--But Not Today

I'm taking a fast trip out of town this weekend--and Christa doesn't like it one bit.

The tears started yesterday and, most likely, will continue until I get back.

You know, most teens and twenty-somethings don't wail and gnash their teeth when Mom goes out of town. I'd forgotten what's it like to have a child so dependent on me that my leaving town creates emotional upheaval in her life.

I almost want to check and make sure the doctor completely cut the umblical cord when Christa was born. There's some sort of strong invisible, but oh-so-real attachment between us. And, with her older siblings leaving home, it's only gotten stronger. I'm the constant in her life--yes, even more that her Dad. He's learned to accept that fact graciously.

So, what am I doing?

I'm comforting Christa. Letting her snuggle in my lap. Promising to sit next to her on the way up to the airport tomorrow. Promising to bring her a surprise back from my trip. Assuring her it will be a quick, quick trip and that Dad has lots of fun things planned.

One day she won't care if I leave town. One day she'll be the one packing the suitcase for a trip and wondering why I'm making such a big deal about it.

But that day is not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact