In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Five years ago:

I stood in the driveway, holding six-month-old Christa in my arms, and watched my son, Josh, drive off to college.
The boundaries of our family stretched to encompass his new life away from home.

Two days ago:

I watched Josh walk into the airport with his fiancee, Jen, to catch a red-eye back to New York after a whirlwind weekend of wedding planning. Christa snoozed in the car. She insisted on taking the late-night drive to the airport with us, wanting a few more minutes with her big brother and soon-to-be-sister.
The lines of our family are stretching again.

I find myself navigating yet another rite of parental passage. I wonder just how do I do this? How do I watch my son take the hand of the young woman he loves and pledge to love, honor, and cherish her? It's such an overwhelming bittersweet blend of emotions. I can't even begin to sort them all out. A touch of sorrow. A sense of joy.

And as I walk this out, I am oh, so mindful of Christa--and the emotions she is feeling. She's not quite sure what this all means, although a wedding sounds like fun. She likes the idea of wearing a special dress, but wonders if her relationship with Josh will change.

So,I'll be watching my step these next few months. And I'll be keeping a close watch on Christa too.

4 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger JRVogt said...

I hope she knows she'll always be my silly sister. Besides, it'll make it more likely that she can come out and stay with Jen and I since we won't have to worry about roommates anymore. Course, it'll probably be a bit yet until you let her get on a plane by herself. No rushing that.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger The Mama of the House said...

You have a precious daughter and I'm more than happy to have her play at our house until you get back on your feet...and we're sending tomorrow night's dinner along with her. Please don't worry about the ridiculous tit-for-tat that we moms think we must do. Besides, what's one more kiddo in the mix? Best wishes!

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she wants another little sister's perspective, she can talk to Emily, who I think has a pretty good perspective by now on what the whole "big sibling getting married" means. Em was a sobbing flowergirl through my wedding ceremony (don't tell Christa that part), but once it was done and I didn't disappear in a poof of smoke, she kind of liked being the only 8 year-old she knew with a brother-in-law. Christa will be great.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Just now reading these comments.
All the while I was sick, the thought of the wedding kept floating around in my head. Something to look forward too. Christa continues to tell me she is sooo glad Josh is marrying Jen. So, she must be okay with it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact