In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, April 11, 2011

In Others' Words:Writing





"Write about what you know and care about deeply. When one puts one's self on paper, that is what is called good writing." ~Joel Chandler Harris, author


Passion or popular--the debate rages on. Do you write the story of your heart or do you write what sells? Here are a few more questions for you: What if what sells bores you to death? Or if you feel like you're selling out? Or selling your soul for publication? 

Is what Harris said true for you--putting yourself on paper equals good writing? Think about it. If you, the author, don't care about what you're writing, why should anyone else?











Photo by soophatoe/stockxchnge.com

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Kathi Lipp said...

I'm really looking forward to getting over here and finding great quotes FRIEND - love that you love good words!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for coming by, Kathi!! Share any of your favorite quotes with me--and I'll post them!!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

I will continue to put myself into my writing, even if that means I don't find approval where I thought I would. In the words of the awesome group, Relient K, "If I become what I cannot accept, resurrect the saint within the wretch." I don't want to become what I cannot accept--inauthentic. Here's to resurrection!
Great post, Beth. Timely.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Bravo, E. Your writing is beautiful. You've made me weep and made me laugh out loud. And you've made me strive to be a better writer. Authentic.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer Taylor said...

I think you have to be passionate about what you're writing, but it must somehow have a market or it won't sell. Many of us have various interests and passions and we could tailor those interests to fit the waves of the market without losing who we are as writers. Great topic.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Good insight, Jennifer. And I think sometimes we have to realize that what we are passionate about writing just isn't going to sell now. Maybe in a year or two--just not now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact