In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

In Others' Words: Mistakes





"If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything."
~ Marva N. Collins, American educator



I don't know about you, but I wish I'd stumbled across this quote a lot sooner in my life. For me, mistakes were all about wrong, wrong, wrong--not a chance to try again and get it right. 

I like Marva Collins' attitude. It's the whole "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!" approach to life, instead of the "If at first you don't succeed, you're wrong! So, sit on the bench and let somebody else do it right!" approach. 

Mistakes happen. If nothing else, it means we're in the game. We're trying. We're living.

Made any mistakes today? Good for you. You're in the game!






















Photo by Cieleke/stock.xchng.com

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great quote, Beth! I'm learning the truth of it more and more as I parent our kiddos. :) My hope is that a mistake won't cause them to give up, but rather to learn from it and do better (or with a different mistake) next time. :)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Great attitude, Jeanne!
We love our kids, mistakes and all! (And they love us in the same way.)

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

I am in the middle of a big drama with Chunky. I've made several mistakes already trying to handle it. I have NO IDEA what the right thing to do is. I only hope he comes out of this knowing I love him. He may be confused about the universe, right and wrong, and the purpose of peas, but if he knows I love him, we'll be ok. I think.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Above all else, our kids need to know we love them. And it's funny--they figure out we're imperfect. My daughter told me the best thing about me as a mom was that I wasn't perfect.
Be encouraged, E. Be encouraged.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read this post, I was thinking about my writing journey. How I'm learning to write through mistake after mistake (after mistake after mistake). But then I read the other comments and applied it to my parenting.

Ugh! For me, motherhood is one mistake after another. Once I figure out everything there is to know about a certain stage/dilemma . . . the kids are past it and the problem is new. Fortunately, my kids are forgiving.

Thanks for stretching my mind today, Beth.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I've learned more about forgiveness from my children! And I speak on the topic, "Motherhood: Perfection Not Required." So, be encouraged by that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact