In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, April 25, 2011

In Others' Word: Mistakes




"Don't worry about mistakes. Making things out of mistakes, that's creativity." 
~Peter Max, artist


I'm beginning to realize creativity is all about mindset. If I have an "Oh, no! I might make a mistake" mindset, I shut down my creativity. I don't dare type a word, much less a sentence or a paragraph, for fear of making a mistake. And I know I'll make a mistake if for no other reason than because I am the world's worst typist. (Just made one typing the word "typist." See what I mean?)

I have to forge ahead into creativity, which just may appear out of my mistakes, not by avoiding my mistakes. Just re-read that last sentence and I'm letting it stand: Creativity happens out of my mistakes, not by avoiding my mistakes.

Go and be creative today. Make some mistakes! 




(And my husband found yet another typo when he proofed my post! Creativity abounds! And yes, I fixed it. I am, after all, an editor.)


Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Sometimes creative genius emerges from those mistakes. Fear of failure is one of the top reasons that separates writers from wannabe writers.

No writer is perfect, but those who put their trust in Him will see the fruits of their labor.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

True, Lisa, true.
Fear has kept many a person from creating beautiful things, whether it's a song or a story or a painting.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great post, Beth! I love the optimistic tone of this post. :) We don't grow as people, or in creativity or ability unless we make mistakes and are willing to learn from them. Great reminder, especially in the writing realm. :)

Oh, and it's so nice to know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes when typing. :)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Jeanne,
The funny thing about typing: My chosen career field (journalism) is dependent on typing skills. And despite being a below-par typist, I've experienced success as a journalist--typos and all! I'm just thankful we've progressed from White-out to the delete key!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Ava Pennington said...

Ah, Beth - you've identified one of my biggest obstacles in writing fiction. It's the whole left brain - right brain issue. I find it difficult to pour the story onto the page without editing as I go, which of course, stifles the story.
Thank you for this encouraging word that it's possible my mistakes may even benefit the story!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Ava,
I so understand. I tend to write-edit-write-edit. And that method breaks the creativity for sure!!
NaNoWriMo was actually quite good for me because I refused to let myself go backwards. No hitting the Backspace key or the Delete key at all! After a couple of days, my internal editor stopped screeching at me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact