In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, April 15, 2011

In My Words: Story



One rule all fiction writers learn? Show, don't tell.
For you non-writers out there, "Show, don't tell" translates to describing what's happening in such a way that readers are drawn into the story. Don't say, "Angie felt sad." Show the reader how Angie is feeling by describing what she looks like, how she acts and interacts with other story characters.
But does the "Show, don't tell" rule translate over into real life?
I think so.
Have you ever had someone tell you one thing--but their actions, their facial expressions tell you something entirely different? Your friend isn't outright lying to you, she's just not revealing how she's truly feeling.Or maybe she is--if you pay closer attention to her actions than to her words.
Have you ever wondered what your actions reveal about you? If you had a volume control somewhere on your body (and why hasn't this been invented for small children?) and it was turned off for the day--what would your actions show about you?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Today, I worry that my actions will show that I really want to be home...writing instead of at work. :) (i.e. Shoot, I think my coworker saw me scribbling plot notes during staff meeting!) But I'm reminded - ridiculously often, actually - that I'm right where God wants me for the moment. Which means, my actions should match my verbal attempts at professionalism during the day. :)

I love your blog, by the way, Beth. I enjoy the snippets of wisdom and thoughtfulness each M-W-F.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for being a regular at my blog, M-Tagg. I love "chatting" with you. Just another way to connect. May you "show" others you're right where you're supposed to be.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Toyin O. said...

These are interesting questions, thanks for sharing the video:)

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for dropping by, Toyin. Glad you enjoyed the video. I have fun doing them each Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact